Sunday, June 05, 2005

Zoom

It would be easy enough to pick a certain lens through which to view the mundane, so as to give a "perspective". I'm an eager enough consumer of others' examples of just that. But how to not use a lens, and still have something to offer--is that naive? Or just uneconomical...

Later: I think it is naive after all. To continue the metaphor, everything that creates an image requires a lens, the human eye included*. The perspective of the lens is necessarily limited and arbitrarily biased (to a certain field of view, depth, focal range, etc) but at least the image is clear. A more appropriate goal might be to vary lenses regularly. Having a quality large zoom lens would be a good start.

*yes, I know that pinhole cameras don't need a lens, but I think I've burdened the metaphor enough already.