Saturday, September 24, 2005

Literary Lookup

The Oxford English Dictionary is my favorite reference tool in the world. My second favorite is a particular kanji dictionary. After the OED, a good thesaurus comes in handy (actually, I have yet to find what I consider a good thesaurus).

Another linguistic reference which some might find handy is one which allows you to specify a noun, and be presented with a list of verbs which commonly act upon it. Or specify the verb and get nouns. Or nouns and adjectives. The point is to be able to specify related and/or surrounding words, rather than the word itself. This is for when you have a sentence in mind (or even written) save for one word, which you know you know, but can't recall. I know I'm not the only one.

Do I even need to point out that this is a slam-dunk job for Google, who already has a zillion sentences indexed?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home